1-Hour Hot Dog Buns
Make sure the oil and egg are at room temperature. No mixer? Just mix it in a bowl by hand but knead longer, about 150 turns.
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (Aerate Flour Before Measuring - See How)
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet / 7g) instant yeast (or active dry yeast)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (reduced fat or whole milk), heated to 120-130° F for instant yeast (or 110-120°F for active dry)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- about 1/4 cup additional flour
- 1 beaten egg for egg wash
- Combine flour, yeast, sugar & salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk, followed by oil and egg.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- On low speed add about 1/4 cup of flour until dough forms a mass.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead 50 turns.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meantime, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut dough into 8 pieces. With floured hands, press each into a 4 x 6-inch rectangle. From the 6-inch side, roll up tightly into a log and tuck in the ends.
- Place seam-side down on the baking sheet, cover with a towel and let rise in a warm spot until they double in size, about 30 minutes.
- Meantime, preheat oven to 375° F.
- Just before baking, brush each roll with egg wash. Bake for 12 minutes.
Want Hamburger Buns Instead? Click here.