Make healthier, soft, whole wheat buns in an hour. Be sure the egg and oil are at room temperature and be sure to aerate your flour before measuring. No mixer? Just mix it in a bowl by hand but knead longer, about 150 turns. (This recipe also works with my White Bread With Egg Recipe.) - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups (240 g) whole wheat flour (Aerate Flour Before Measuring - See How)
- 1/2 cup (60 g) bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet / 7g) instant yeast (or active dry yeast)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240 mL) milk (reduced fat or whole milk), heated to 120-130° F for instant yeast (or 110-120°F for active dry)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 egg
- about 1/4 cup additional bread flour
- Place flours, yeast, sugar & salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk, followed by oil and egg.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- On low speed add about 1/4 cup bread flour until dough forms a mass.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead 50 turns.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Meantime, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut dough into 8 pieces. Shape each into a ball and place on baking sheet.
- Flatten each ball to about 1/2-inch thickness / about 3 1/2-inches across.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm spot until they double in size, about 30-35 minutes.
- Meantime, preheat oven to 375° F.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
Note: To see step-by-step photos in my blog, click here.