Add more water if you like a thinner soup. Straining through a sieve gives the best texture. I do not recommend pureeing in a food processor because it whips the soup too much. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups dried green split peas
- 6 cups water
- one carrot, coarsely chopped
- one celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a soup pot.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 35 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Strain through a fine sieve (do not use a blender). Reheat to serve.
Note: Straining through a sieve gives the best creamy result. Using a food processor or blender creates too much foam.
There's more on this soup in my blog. Click here.