I usually frost the cake right in the pan but you can double this recipe using two cake pans for a double-layer cake. Only line the pan with parchment if you plan to remove the cake from the pan. It’s best to have all your ingredients at room temperature and I highly recommend using a cake strip. Be sure to aerate your flour before measuring.- Jenny Jones
- 3/4 cup sugar (the recipe also works using 2/3 cup sugar)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk (low fat or whole milk)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan.
- With an electric mixer on high, beat sugar, eggs, & vanilla for one minute to thicken.
- On low speed add remaining ingredients (in the order listed) but do not over-mix. This should take less than a minute.
- Pour into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I like to frost it with my 2-minute chocolate frosting.
Salt: Based on some comments, I added salt (optional) to my recipe. Use a pinch up to 1/4 teaspoon although I make mine without salt.
A cake strip will keep the edges from over baking and will keep the cake from being domed or rounded in the center. For info on cake strips click here.
For more on this recipe in my blog click here.