This is pudding from my childhood and I still love it today. Be sure to shake the box of tapioca before measuring. For a chocolate swirl, you can gently stir in a small piece or two of a sweetened dark chocolate bar just before pouring into your serving cups but just barely stir as it melts quickly. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups milk (whole milk or low fat)
- 1/4 cup Minute Tapioca (shake or stir before measuring)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, tapioca, 3 T sugar, and egg yolk. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meantime, in a small bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat the egg white with 2 Tbsp of sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir in vanilla and set aside.
- Cook the milk mixture over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, until it comes to a full boil.
- Cook and stir for one minute, reducing heat if needed.
- Remove from heat and stir in beaten egg white mixture - use a spatula, whisk, or the electric hand mixer on low speed.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir again and pour into serving cups. It will firm up as it cools. Serve warm or refrigerate.
- To make a chocolate swirl, just before the final stir, break 1/2 ounce of dark sweetened chocolate into pieces and drop it into the pudding. Stir it around briefly for the swirl as it melts quickly.
Notes: To see a picture of my chocolate swirl version in my blog click here.