When I say "plain" I mean it. I don't use Andouille sausage, just chicken, and this dish is not spicy at all because I make my own spice mix. To include shrimp, see my note below. - Jenny Jones
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound boneless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 to1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup celery - 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup bell peppers - 1/4 inch pieces, any color
- 1 cup long grain rice (I use Ben's Converted)
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup tomato (I use Pomi strained tomato)
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Creole seasoning mix (My seasoning is not spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil in a large pan over med-high heat. Cook chicken for 2 minutes, sprinkling with salt & pepper.
- Add onion, garlic, celery and peppers. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rice followed by stock, tomato, tomato paste, and spices. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir well and serve.
Want to add shrimp? Reduce chicken to 1/2 pound and reduce cook time from 20 to 17 minutes. After 17 minutes, stir in 1/4 pound of raw, cleaned, deviened and washed shrimp, burying it under the rice. Cover and cook another 3 minutes.