If you ever wanted to have cake for breakfast, this is the one. It has whole grains, eggs, and a beautiful crispy broiled topping. When you’re broiling, DON’T WALK AWAY. Keep checking as it only takes a few too many seconds for the top to burn. - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter or vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (1 ounce)
- 1/2 cup finely diced pecans
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan or line an 8-inch square pan with foil.
- Pour boiling water over oats in a small bowl. Let stand, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Sift dry ingredients (flour thru salt) onto wax paper & set aside.
- In a bowl with electric mixer on medium-hi, beat oil, eggs, sugar & vanilla 2-3 minutes until thick.
- On lowest speed, slowly stir in warm oat & water mixture, followed by flour mixture.
- Spread into pan and bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake stand 2-3 minutes. Move oven rack up one rung (so it's 6-8 inches from the broiler at the top) and set oven to broil.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients using your fingers.
- Cover cake with topping, pressing down firmly, and broil for 1-2 minutes until browned. Check it often because it can easily burn!