Oatmeal Bars With Crispy Coconut Top
I use a 68 to 70% dark chocolate bar and chop it into small chunks but you can use dark chocolate chips. When broiling DON'T WALK AWAY! A few too many seconds and the top can burn.
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use expeller pressed avocado oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate bar chunks (or chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup finely diced pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut (1 ounce)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease or line an 8 x 8 or a 9 x 9-inch square pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add oil, eggs & vanilla, stirring by hand until almost combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks and spread evenly into pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and raise oven rack up one rung (so it's 6-8 inches from the broiler at the top) and set oven to broil.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients using your fingers.
- Cover warm cake with topping, pressing down firmly, and broil for about 1 minute until browned. Check it often because it can easily burn!