No Dutch oven needed. You can start this dough the night before by switching to COOL water and let the dough rest overnight on the counter top for 8 to 24 hours. Aerate your flour before measuring! - Jenny Jones
- 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour (390 gms)
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast (active dry or instant)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups hot water, not boiling (354 mL) - I use hot tap water - about 125-130° F
- (about 2 Tablespoons extra flour for shaping)
- Combine flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Stir in water until it’s well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours dough will become puffy and dotted with bubbles. Transfer it to a well-floured surface and sprinkle dough with a little flour. Using a scraper fold dough over 10-12 times & shape into a rough 12-inch loaf.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking pan and cover with a towel. Let stand on counter top for 35 minutes.
- Meantime place a disposable 6-cup muffin pan or other small pan in the oven, making sure there is room for your bread pan - if not, place the small pan on a lower rack. Preheat oven to 450° F.
- After a 35-minute rest, the dough will puff up a little. Place it in the oven and carefully pour about 3/4 cup of hot or boiling water into 3 or 4 muffin cups or small pan. Close oven door immediately and bake for 30 minutes.
Note: There's lots more on this recipe in my blog. Click here..