Anaheim peppers are flavorful but mild. They are green and measure around 7 inches long. I use Guerrero brand corn tortillas. Be sure to cut the peppers and tomatoes small as indicated so they cook through. - Jenny Jones
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 Anaheim pepper seeded & chopped in 1/4" pieces (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 cup bell pepper, seeded and chopped in 1/4" pieces (I use yellow)
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, cut into 1/2" pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 9 soft corn tortillas - five-inch size
- 6 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded by hand
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease a 2 1/2 quart glass baking dish. (mine is 7 x 9" pyrex)
- Heat oil and saute onions, garlic, Anaheim and bell pepper over medium-high heat for 3 minute.
- Add tomatoes, salt & pepper. Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in black beans. Remove from heat.
- Make 3 layers in this order: tortillas + tomato mixture + cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream.
For More on this recipe in my blog, click here.