Old fashioned potato salad has too much fat but not this one. Use a thin knife to test potatoes for doneness and to keep them from getting waterlogged. Peeling hot potatoes is easier with latex gloves and tossing them with vinegar & salt first helps infuse more flavor. Oh... and use a glass bowl. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 lbs. red skin potatoes (4 or 5 medium ones)
- 3/4 cup diced celery hearts including tender yellow leaves
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup light mayo (I use Best Foods)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- pepper to taste
- Cover whole unpeeled potatoes with cold salted water, bring to a boil, cover & simmer gently 20-25 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, chop the celery, onion and eggs.
- Combine vinegar & salt in a small bowl.
- Combine buttermilk, mayo & mustard in a measuring cup.
- Peel & dice hot potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes & place in a glass bowl.
- Pour vinegar & salt over hot, diced potatoes and toss. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in dressing followed by celery, onion, eggs & pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.