Lemon and blueberry is a combo made in heaven, not to mention the numerous health benefits of blueberries from brain support to glowing skin. Make them white or whole wheat. Be sure to aerate your flour before measuring. - Jenny Jones
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of two large lemons
- 1 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries
- Glaze (optional):
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar + 2 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or insert paper liners.
- Combine the dry ingredients & lemon zest in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl or a measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture. Gently fold in blueberries. Batter should be lumpy so don’t over-mix.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- For glaze, combine powdered sugar & lemon juice. Let muffins cool for 5 minutes and brush glaze on warm muffin tops.
No buttermilk? See Substitutions in my blog.
For A Whole Wheat Version use 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour + 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour.