Lemon and blueberry is a combo made in heaven, not to mention the numerous health benefits of blueberries from brain support to glowing skin. These light & healthy muffins are made with whole wheat flour and extra light olive oil. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of two large lemons
- 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries
- Glaze (optional):
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar + 2 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan or insert paper liners.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- In another bowl or a measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture. Gently fold in blueberries. Batter should be a bit lumpy so don’t over-mix.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin cups. Bake for about 20 minutes.
- For glaze, combine powdered sugar & lemon juice. Let muffins cool for 5 minutes and brush glaze on warm muffin tops.
No buttermilk? No whole wheat pastry flour? See Substitutions in my blog.