This is the best pan pizza you will ever have! Using a cast iron skillet makes it crispy and golden brown. I always remove some of the moisture from mushrooms & veggie toppings and “degrease” the pepperoni for a never-soggy, crispy crust. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups (6.3 ounces) bread flour (all-purpose flour works too) (*corrected from 7 oz.)
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast - instant or active dry
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water (cold or hot - see below)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil for greasing pan
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 4 ounces part skim mozzarella cheese, hand shredded
- toppings of your choice (I use reduced fat turkey pepperoni, peppers, onions, and mushrooms)
- ORIGINAL WAY (Overnight using cold water) Combine flour, yeast, and salt in a medium bowl. Add cold water and combine well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand on counter top 12 to 18 hours.
- FASTER WAY (Using hot water) Combine flour, yeast, and salt in a medium bowl. Add hot tap water (120 - 130° F) and combine well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand on counter top for 3 hours.
- After the resting time of either the overnight 12-18 hrs or faster 3 hrs, dough will be double in size, puffy & soft, and dotted with bubbles. Sprinkle the dough with a little flour and stir briefly until it forms a ball.
- Grease a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- Place dough in skillet, spreading close to the edge with oiled fingers. Cover with a pot lid or plate and let rest at least an hour, preferably two. It will continue spreading as it rests.
- Preheat oven to highest temperature - 500/550° F.
- Add sauce, cheese, and toppings.
- Cook on a stove-top burner on medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Place in oven and bake about 15 minutes (start checking at 12).
Note: - Click here for more on making this easy pizza faster using hot water.
Note: To reduce moisture when adding sliced mushrooms, peppers, or onions, place them between double paper towels between 2 plates. Microwave 1 minute and press out excess moisture with paper towels. The same process (30 sec. in microwave) removes excess fat from pepperoni.