Don't like squishy mushrooms? Just chop them up really fine. Mushrooms are immune system boosters. I like to put some broccoli florets on top of the rice during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking time to steam them for a healthy side vegetable.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (about 3/4 lb) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup green onions, white & green parts
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (4 large ones)
- 1 cup milk (reduced fat or whole milk)
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- In a large pan, sauté chicken in 2 teaspoons hot oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, stirring a few times. Remove to a foil-lined bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium, add 1 tsp. oil and saute onions & mushrooms about 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Whisk flour & milk together and add, with 1/2 tsp. salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until thickened, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken with its juices. Serve over rice or noodles.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.