Cracked wheat can be hard to find so I get mine online. Be sure to aerate your flour before measuring. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cracked wheat (dry/uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon yeast (instant or active dry)
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature water
- about 2 Tablespoons extra flour for shaping
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
- Stir in water. Mixture will be very thick.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature overnight for 10 to 12 hours (even longer is fine).
- Dough will become puffy. Transfer it to a floured surface and sprinkle with a little flour. Using a scraper, fold dough over 10-12 times & shape into a rough ball.
- Place in a parchment paper-lined bowl (not wax paper) and cover with a towel. Let stand on counter top for 1 hour.
- After 30 minutes, place Dutch oven with lid in a cold oven and preheat to 450° F. My oven takes 35 minutes to reach 450°.
- When oven reaches 450° (& dough has rested for 1 hour) carefully, using oven gloves, lift the parchment paper and dough from the bowl and place gently into the hot pot. (parchment paper goes in the pot too) Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove lid and parchment paper. Return, uncovered, to oven and bake for 10-15 more minutes.
Note: There's more on this recipe in my blog. Click here.
Can't Find Cracked Wheat? You can use steel cut oats instead.