Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
This recipe is updated to use milk instead of buttermilk. Be sure to toast the nuts first for the best flavor. Coffee cake is always best served warm. - Jenny Jones
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (or softened butter)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup low fat 1% milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- In a small bowl combine the streusel ingredients. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease an 8-inch square or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips in a bowl.
- Combine milk, oil & egg in another bowl (or in a measuring cup).
- Gently fold the milk mixture into flour mixture.
- Spread batter into cake pan and top with streusel.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Streusel Topping: (it’s best to prepare this first - I use my fingers)
Still want the old recipe? Click here.