- 1 large head of cabbage (about 3 lbs.) – or use 2 smaller heads
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large mushrooms, finely diced - 1 1/2 cups (optional)
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice (brown or white)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup Pomi strained tomatoes or canned tomato puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup liquid (beef stock, cabbage water, or combine with some leftover tomato for 3/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- To cooled onion mixture, add meat, rice, parsley, tomato, salt & pepper. Combine well.
- Remove from oven and let rest 30 minutes or better still, refrigerate overnight. (They freeze well.)