I bake my own poppy seed egg bread just to make this pudding but you can certainly use a store-bought loaf. Since bread cubes are hard to measure, I use a kitchen scale to get the exact weight. This pudding is so good, it doesn't need any topping. - Jenny Jones
- 6 oz. egg bread cut into 1-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups milk (I use 1% or 2% low fat milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- a pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place bread cubes into an eight-inch round baking dish with tall sides.
- With an electric mixer, beat eggs & sugar on medium-high speed. Beat until thick & pale, about 5 minutes.
- On low speed, stir in milk, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Pour mixture over bread and let stand 5 minutes, or longer while the oven heats up. Push bread down a few times with a spoon.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.