If you like bread pudding, you’ll think you’re in heaven if you make it with this soft, fragrant bread. It's best to have all the ingredients at room temperature. - Jenny Jones
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour (or all purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons Fleischmann’s RapidRise instant yeast (1 packet)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 1% milk (warmed to 120°)
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg + 1 yolk, lightly beaten
- additional 1/2 cup bread flour
- additional egg yolk for egg wash
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Combine the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Add warmed milk, oil, and egg + yolk to the flour mixture.
- Beat on high speed for two minutes.
- On low speed, stir in about 1/2 cup more flour until dough holds together.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface about 100 turns.
- Cover with plastic and let rest 10 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into three and roll each piece into a 16-inch long strip. Braid as you would hair, tucking ends under and place on baking sheet. Cover with a towel and rise in a warm spot until double in size – 40 minutes to an hour.
- Meantime, prepare egg wash by combining 1 egg yolk with 1 teaspoon water. Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Brush loaf gently with egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. If top starts to brown too much, cover with a foil tent.