Paczki are traditionally fried but they don’t have to be. Mine are oven-baked and delicious. Paczki are usually filled with jam but you can also use lemon curd, chocolate pudding, or custard. It's best to have the egg yolks & oil at room temperature and be sure to aerate your flour before measuring. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet = 7 grams) yeast (instant or regular)
- 2/3 cup 1% milk – warmed to 120°F for instant/110°F for regular yeast
- 3 Tablespoons oil (canola or extra light olive oil)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- about 1/4 cup extra flour
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar for coating
- 1 cup jam, custard, or filling of choice
- Place flour, sugar, salt, & yeast in large bowl.
- Stir in warm milk, followed by oil, egg yolks & vanilla.
- With electric mixer, beat for 2 minutes on high speed.
- Stir in enough flour until the dough holds together.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead 50 turns, cover with plastic and let rest 10 min.
- If using custard filling, make it now so it can cool. (see recipe below)
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut circles using a 2 1/2 -inch round cutter, dipped in flour. Re-roll scraps.
- Place mounds on baking sheet, cover with a towel, and let rise in a warm spot about 45 minutes. (1 hour at room temp.) After 30 minutes, preheat oven to 375° F.
- When paczki are puffy, but not necessarily doubled in size, bake for 10 minutes.
- Meantime, melt butter and place 1/3 cup sugar in a plastic produce bag, and lay down some wax paper to save cleanup.
- Remove paczki immediately from pan to wax paper. Brush each one while warm (top & sides) with melted butter and roll in bag to coat with sugar. Shake off excess.
- Fill using a pastry bag with a long slender tip, pushing into the side. Serve immediately.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar + 1 Tablespoon cornstarch. Slowly stir in 1 cup 1% milk + 1 egg yolk. Bring to a boil & cook about a minute, stirring constantly, until thickened. (it thickens more as it cools) Transfer to a plate and let it stand, undisturbed, to cool thoroughly before using - refrigerate if necessary.
- Fill paczki with filling using a pastry bag with a long slender tip, pushing into the side. Or slice an opening in the side and insert filling with a spoon. Serve immediately.
Note: If using a pastry bag, choose a smooth jam and not one with pieces of fruit as they can clog the tip.