This luscious pie will spoil you forever! Here are some helpful tips: 1) Separate your eggs while they’re cold - it’s easier. 2) Oil crusts are so easy they can be pieced together while rolling or when placing in the pan. 3) The lemon filling must be very hot when you add the meringue. 4) Three large lemons are usually enough but if they're smaller, you may need four. - Jenny Jones
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 1/3 cup oil (I use extra light olive oil)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (3 large lemons)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter (optional)
- zest of 2 large lemons
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in milk & oil all at once & combine with fork.
- Shape into a 5-inch disc and place between 2 sheets of floured wax paper. Roll into a 12-inch circle.
- Place into pie pan and trim or flute edges.
- Prick the crust with a fork 15 times and cover the rim with a pie ring or foil to prevent burnt edges. Bake for 15 minutes or until it's lightly browned. When it's done, set on a wire rack to cool & reduce oven temperature to 350° F.
- While the crust bakes, start the filling.
- Zest the lemons and make lemon juice. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.
- Place water, juice, and yolks in a bowl and whisk together, mixing well.
- Slowly whisk juice mixture into sugar mixture.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn off burner and stir in butter and lemon zest. Cover to keep filling hot.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer on med-high until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating. Slowly add sugar & vanilla. Beat until it forms stiff peaks. (entire process takes about 5 min.)
- Pour hot lemon filling into cooled or slightly warm crust.
- Top with meringue, making sure edges are completely sealed.
- Bake at 350° F (without pie ring) for 6-8 minutes.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.