Traditionally made with a ham hock, this is a healthier and easier way to make this hearty soup. I sometimes add diced potato along with the carrots. Cette soupe aux pois est très délicieux! - Jenny Jones
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- In a medium soup pot, sauté onion, celery, and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except carrots) and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes.
- Add carrots and simmer, covered, an additional 10 minutes.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.