Eat vegetables any way you can so why not in a cake? To prevent the edges of the cake from over-baking, a cake strip is a good idea. Use your own frosting or try mine. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch process is best)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup grated unpeeled zucchini (one 6-ounce green Italian zucchini)
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- about 1 Tablespoon milk or sour cream to soften
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sift dry ingredients onto wax paper or into a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high, beat the oil, sugar, eggs & vanilla for 3-4 minutes until thickened.
- On lowest speed add the flour mixture followed by zucchini with its juice.
- Spread into pan and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in the pan.
- In a bowl with an electric hand mixer beat butter & sour cream.
- Add powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla.
- Adjust consistency with sour cream or milk, beating well.
- Frost just the top in the pan or remove to a plate and frost the top and sides.
Notes: For more on cake strips in my blog click here.