Don’t use an electric mixer to make these healthy, crispy, whole grain waffles. Stir the batter together gently by hand. A non-stick waffle iron should not need greasing. The almonds add lots of protein and healthy fats but they are optional. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds (optional)
- Combine flour, baking powder, & baking soda in a bowl.
- In a measuring cup combine buttermilk, eggs, and oil.
- Gently fold buttermilk mixture into flour mixture. Keep it lumpy.
- Place batter on preheated grids & quickly top each waffle with 1/4 cup of almonds.
- Bake for up to 5 minutes, depending on your waffle iron.