Whole Wheat Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
This is the same recipe as my "Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies except for the flour swap, but the process is different.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks (70% cacao is best)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt & cinnamon in a bowl or on wax paper. Set aside.
- With electric mixer on medium-high, beat oil, sugar, egg & vanilla in a bowl for 1 minute.
- On low speed, stir in the oat mixture, followed by chocolate chunks.
- With wet hands or using a scoop, shape into 2-inch balls and place onto a wax paper-covered cutting board or freezer-safe plate. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Place cold dough balls on the baking sheet, reshaping them to a round shape if they have flattened. (Do not press down before baking)
- Bake about 12-14 minutes until edges are golden.
Mine came out like balls. Are these suppose to be flat or round? They are good tho!
When I make them they flatten when baking.
Maybe pastry flour is essential here. I tried using regular whole wheat flour and could not get the chocolate chips to incorporate with the rest of the mixture. To me it feels like the ratio of oats is maybe too high, resulting in not enough of the sugar-egg mixture free to stick to the chips. Never experienced this before…
Can regular white pastry flour be substituted?