These whole wheat cookies have less butter and less sugar with dark chocolate chips and toasted nuts. The darker the chocolate, the better so I sometimes chop up a dark chocolate bar for my chocolate chips. You can also make these cookies using only all-purpose flour. Use 1 1/8 cups (that's 1 cup + 2 Tbsp). - Jenny Jones
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil (reduced from 1/4 cup)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (reduced from 1/4 tsp.)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toasted nuts (optional) I use walnuts & pecans
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high, beat oil, butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla until well combined - about 1 minute.
- On lowest speed add flours, baking soda, and salt followed by chocolate chips and nuts. Do not overmix.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased or parchment-lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack.