You don’t need butter to make delicious brownies. This updated recipe takes less than 30 minutes start-to-finish, using whole wheat flour, toasted nuts and chocolate chips or chunks (dark chocolate chunks will provide more heart-healthy benefits). - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I use Dutch-processed cocoa)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt - 2% or full fat
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup toasted nuts, chopped (I mix pecans and walnuts)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks (or chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a 9 x 9-inch square pan with foil, leaving extra edges for lifting.
- Sift dry ingredients onto wax paper or into a bowl.
- In another bowl by hand, combine oil, yogurt, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Stir in nuts and chocolate pieces.
- Spread into baking pan, spreading batter to the edges.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes, never more than 20.