Cold, cooked rice works best so I cook and cool the rice overnight. Otherwise, you can cook the rice and spread it on a dinner plate, uncovered, to cool & release moisture. This meal cooks quickly so have everything ready before you start. Use white or brown rice. - Jenny Jones
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 2 1/2 cups cooked rice (2/3 cup uncooked) - medium grain rice works well
- 1 cup baby spinach, well packed (3/4 ounce)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- Cook 2/3 cup rice, preferably in advance. Otherwise, cook and spread on a dinner plate to cool down.
- Spread frozen peas on a paper towel to thaw.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook onion & garlic in 1 tsp.oil for 1 minute.
- Add broccoli & peppers. Cook & stir for 1 minute.
- Push veggies to the side, add 1 tsp. oil and stir-fry the rice in the oil for 1 minute, while gradually stirring in the veggies.
- Stir in spinach and peas and push mixture to one side.
- Add beaten eggs and cook until set, about 1 minute, and stir into rice.
- Stir in soy sauce, salt & pepper.