Try to have your oil at room temperature and aerate your flour before measuring. This was not an easy recipe to perfect so for a good result, do not make any changes. - Jenny Jones
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (less 2 Tablespoons) cool water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Place dry ingredients into a bowl and combine well, stirring or whisking until thoroughly blended.
- In a small bowl, combine water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Add liquids to flour mixture & gently stir until there are no lumps (about 30 seconds).
- Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan.
Too much sugar? I tried using less sugar but it did not turn out.
Use a different pan? I tried an 8-inch round pan and it did not turn out.
More: There's more on this recipe in my blog. Click here.