Simple Vegan Vanilla Cake
Try to have your oil at room temperature and aerate your flour before measuring. This was not an easy recipe to perfect so for a good result, do not make any changes. - Jenny Jones
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (less 2 Tablespoons) cool water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Place dry ingredients into a bowl and combine well, stirring or whisking until thoroughly blended.
- In a small bowl, combine water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Add liquids to flour mixture & gently stir until there are no lumps (about 30 seconds).
- Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan.
Too much sugar? I tried using less sugar but it did not turn out.
Use a different pan? I tried an 8-inch round pan and it did not turn out.
More: There's more on this recipe in my blog. Click here.
I am worried to get started without knowing what the best way is to prep the pan: grease it only, grease it and sprinkle flour on it, use baking paper, grease rim only and put baking paper on bottom….? How will the cake come out the best? Thanks – Diana.
DIVINE! I made this for my mom and she LOVED it! Would 100% recommend!
This makes 12 wonderful cupcakes !
I substituted baking powder for baking soda .
Fantastic recipe !
Doubled this in a 10×14 deep pan that I have, put apple slices on top and then a mix of cinnamon and brown sugar. Yum. Would be a great cake topped with berries and cream too. Many thanks
Hi jenny this recipe is amazing! I was wondering If I could use the same recipe for cupcakes and how many it would make?
You can, it makes 12 🙂
Thank you so much, Jenny! I used the ingredients and I actually won my competition!
GREAT RECIPES . GREAT JENNY CAN COOK. THANK YOU.
Can you substitute lemon juice instead of vinegar?