Use the leanest ground beef you can and the best canned tomatoes will be plum tomatoes, especially San Marzano, which should be pureed in a food processor or broken up by hand. Cook the sauce until it’s a consistency you like, longer for a thicker sauce or less for more liquid. - Jenny Jones
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 28 ounce can plum tomatoes, pureed
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a large pan on medium-high, heat the oil and sauté onion & garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add beef. Cook & stir for 4 minutes until pink is gone.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook uncovered, over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
Notes: Still want the original recipe? Click here