Simple Lentil Soup
I prefer the pureed version (pictured) for a thick, hearty soup. You can puree all or only part of the soup. - Jenny Jones
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced carrot - 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup diced celery - 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock (I use unsalted chicken stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (use less if using salted stock)
- 1 bay leaf + pepper to taste
- In a medium soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add carrots, celery, oregano and thyme. Cook & stir for 1 minute.
- Add lentils, stock, salt, pepper & bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve or puree briefly in a food processor for a thick, creamy soup.
Thank you for the recipe. Thank you that I don’t have to go on a website.
Hi Jenny. Thanks for your videos. I have made and shared your best ever cabbage rolls with my friends. They loved them. Thanks again, Jenny.
Can ‘t thank you enough your recipes make feel loved and satisfied. What a a feel good person you are. Thank you doing these videos, I’m getting so fit and I have you to thank. Lentils and me, we go together. Thank you Jenny for sharing your life with me.
Jenny, I have enjoyed your videos and recipes for a few years now. It’s gratifying to see you still sharing simple and delicious recipes. By the way, I do love your (no knead) buns.
Thank you, Jenny!
The man I live with (20 years and counting) and I have gone plant-based over 2 years ago and he LOVES lentil soup.
This is super delicious!
We are trying to eat more vegetarian and this was delicious and easy. I did not puree (no food processor) but loved it plain. Now I have to try those crusty rolls! Thank you Jenny.
I made this yesterday exactly as written and I used an immersion blender to puree most of it. I thought it was awesome. Even better, my wife loved it! Thanks Jenny.
I love that all your recipes are simple with ingredients I always have on hand. Thanks for another winner. I’m sharing this with my vegetarian sister-in-law.