Simple Lentil Soup
I prefer the pureed version (pictured) for a thick, hearty soup. You can puree all or only part of the soup. - Jenny Jones
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup diced carrot - 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup diced celery - 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock (I use unsalted chicken stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (use less if using salted stock)
- 1 bay leaf + pepper to taste
- In a medium soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add carrots, celery, oregano and thyme. Cook & stir for 1 minute.
- Add lentils, stock, salt, pepper & bay leaf. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve or puree briefly in a food processor for a thick, creamy soup.