Enjoy a decadent, moist chocolate cake made with no butter or eggs and no mixer needed. Dust it with powdered sugar or use my butter-free glaze. (*this is the same cake recipe as my Easy One Bowl Chocolate Cake but with a butter-free glaze) - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-processed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (not baking powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cool water
- 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice or distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and set aside.
- In a measuring cup combine water, oil, juice or vinegar, and vanilla.
- Add liquids to bowl & gently stir until there are no lumps (about 30 seconds).
- Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan and add my chocolate glaze or dust with powdered sugar.
Notes: Make a glaze with 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp. vanilla + about 4 tsp. milk. I frost only the top - right in the pan.