I have used both long grain and short grain (Calrose) rice with good results. Keep an eye on the pan as this dish can easily spill over. The burner should be just warm enough to bubble. This pudding will thicken as it cools. - Jenny Jones
- 3 cups milk (whole milk or reduced fat)
- 1/2 cup rice (I prefer short grain rice)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Place milk, rice, sugar and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, at a gentle boil for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is thick and creamy.
- Remove cinnamon stick and stir in vanilla.
- Get your fuzzy slippers and a big spoon.