Use starchy russet potatoes for the richest tasting soup and if you heat the stock before adding, your soup will be ready in 25 minutes. I always stir a little sour cream into my bowl of potato soup, just like my father did. - Jenny Jones
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 large russet potatoes (at least 1 1/2 pounds total) peeled & cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt & pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup additional stock
- 2 teaspoons flour
- (sour cream and fresh dill for serving) - optional
- Heat oil in a medium soup pot and saute onion & garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add stock, potatoes, bay leaf, salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook on low for 12 minutes.
- Whisk 1/3 cup additional stock with flour and add to soup.
- Cover and cook another 3 minutes.
- Serve plain or stir in 1 teaspoon sour cream per serving bowl. Garnish with fresh dill if you like.
Note: You may need more or less salt depending on your stock. My stock is lightly salted.