Each time you add ingredients, raise the heat to resume a boil and then cover and reduce the heat to cook on low. Try to mash the broken beans and save the whole ones. - Jenny Jones
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup thin sliced carrots - 1/8-inch thick
- 1/2 cup sliced celery - 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup Pomi strained tomatoes (or tomato puree)
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning (try my seasoning mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional)
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 1/2 ounces small pasta (I use small elbows) - about 1/2 cup
- Saute onions and garlic in oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add carrots and celery. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, tomato, Italian seasoning, salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer for 7 minutes.
- While soup cooks place drained beans on a dinner place. Mash half the beans with a fork until smooth. Set aside.
- After 7 minutes, stir in pasta. When boiling resumes, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, add mashed beans & stir well. When boiling resumes, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add whole beans and let the soup rest for a couple of minutes to heat the beans.
Note: I use DeCecco small elbows #81 which cook in 5 minutes. If you use a different pasta, adjust the cooking time (in step #6) so they under cook by 2 minutes.