Cooked tomatoes have lots of lycopene, which helps protect against prostate and other cancers. For a perfectly smooth soup, let it cool for a bit and run through the food processor again. - Jenny Jones
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 28-ounce can plum tomatoes (San Marzano tomatoes are best)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- Puree the tomatoes in a food processor until smooth, about a minute.
- In a soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, sugar, salt & pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Note: For cream of tomato soup just add a teaspoon of whipping cream per serving.