There is no need to boil and drain the pasta first. It goes into the pan dry. Prep the chicken, peppers, and carrots before you start because this cooks quickly. I use a 9-inch skillet with tall sides for this easy recipe. - Jenny Jones
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 pound chicken breast cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3 ounces penne pasta (about 1 1/4 cups) - uncooked
- 3/4 cup chicken stock (mine is lightly salted)
- 1 cup red & yellow peppers in 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup carrots in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Place frozen peas on a paper towel to thaw.
- Sauté onions & garlic in oil in a large pan on medium-high for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, cook and stir for 2 minutes, adding a little salt & pepper
- Stir in uncooked (dry) pasta, chicken stock, peppers and carrots. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 8 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Meantime, combine milk, flour, salt & pepper. Trim and wash broccoli.
- After 8 minutes, stir in milk mixture, broccoli, and peas. Return to a boil, and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.