There’s no place you can buy anything close to these sensational homemade meringues and they are incredibly easy (and cheap) to make. But you must have an electric mixer, preferably a stand mixer, or even a hand-held. I dare you to try and eat just one. - Jenny Jones
- 2 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 200° F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar and beat another 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, then beat for 5 minutes or until very stiff and glossy.
- Add vanilla and beat one more minute.
- Using 2 spoons, shape into mounds onto the parchment paper.
- Bake for one hour.
- Turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the closed oven for another hour.
Do not refrigerate. They will keep for months in a closed container.