Homemade bread crumbs are so easy to make, there’s no reason to buy them. You’ll save money and with my whole wheat recipe, you’ll have healthy, high fiber crumbs whenever you need them. Look for 100% whole wheat bread and make sure it’s fresh. (Stale bread makes stale crumbs.) I freeze dry bread crumbs for months! - Jenny Jones
- 3-4 slices of whole wheat bread
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
- Cut bread into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Spread on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning over once. If bread is not completely dry return to oven, checking until completely dry. Do not brown the bread, just dry it.
- Let cool and spin in food processor until you have fine crumbs.
- Use plain or add your favorite dry spices while spinning.
- Keep refrigerated or freeze for extended period.
Note: To make fresh bread crumbs, cut or tear the same fresh bread into pieces and pulse in food processor to the crumb size you like, about 20-30 seconds. If you dry those pieces in the 300° oven for 6 to 8 minutes... you'll have Panko!