Get out your biggest pan! Do all your prep first (cut veggies, shred cheese) and this fabulous dinner comes together in 10 minutes. Pre-shredded cheese will not melt the same so please shred your own. Use other pasta shapes or elbows if you like and either purple or white cauliflower, but purple looks better. Steaming the veggies retains the most vitamins. - Jenny Jones
- 2 1/2 cups milk (I use 1% or 2% low fat milk)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces (about 3 1/4 cups) cavatappi tubular corkscrew pasta
- 8 ounces reduced fat cheddar, shredded by hand
- 2 cups each broccoli & cauliflower, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 cups firmly packed baby spinach (2 oz.)
- 1 large tomato, diced and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- Start boiling salted water for pasta.
- Place broccoli & cauliflower in a steamer basket & set aside.
- Whisk together the milk and flour and place in a large sauté pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cook & stir about 5 minutes until thickened. Keep stirring as it can easily burn.
- Cook pasta per package directions.
- While pasta & sauce cook, steam broccoli & cauliflower for 5 minutes.
- When sauce it thick, remove from heat. Stir in cheese until blended.
- Place spinach in bottom of strainer and pour pasta over it to drain.
- Stir pasta & spinach into sauce followed by the broccoli, cauliflower & tomatoes, salt & pepper.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.