Greek Avgolemono Soup
It’s like the creamy pudding of all soups. Have the egg at room temperature and of course homemade chicken broth is the way to go. Use more or less lemon as you like. Double or quadruple recipe as needed. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orzo or rice, cook per directions (2 cups cooked)
- leftover cooked chicken (optional)
- Bring the broth to a boil.
- Working with a small bowl next to the broth, beat the egg & lemon juice with a hand-held mixer on high until thick and frothy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly ladle about 1/4 of the hot soup into the egg mixture.
- Stir egg mixture into hot (but not boiling) soup. Stir and simmer about 2 minutes. Do not boil soup after adding the egg or it will curdle.
- Stir in orzo & chicken if available.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.
Thank you Jenny for a quick and delicious Greek lemon orzo soup. I just added a dash of freshly ground pepper, 4 baby carrots chopped and cooked just because, and sprinkled with leftover cooked chicken. Delicious without the chicken also. Sharing with my boys and definitely a keeper! ❤️😋
Love your site!!
I’m also loving my Instant Pot! Do you have any pressure cooked recipes?
One of the best soups…winter and summer
Wow, I have missed seeing you.
This looks very good , look forward to trying it next week.
Thanks for sharing,