It’s like the creamy pudding of all soups. Have the egg at room temperature and of course homemade chicken broth is the way to go. Use more or less lemon as you like. Double or quadruple recipe as needed. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup orzo or rice, cook per directions (2 cups cooked)
- leftover cooked chicken (optional)
- Bring the broth to a boil.
- Working with a small bowl next to the broth, beat the egg & lemon juice with a hand-held mixer on high until thick and frothy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly ladle about 1/4 of the hot soup into the egg mixture.
- Stir egg mixture into hot (but not boiling) soup. Stir and simmer about 2 minutes. Do not boil soup after adding the egg or it will curdle.
- Stir in orzo & chicken if available.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.