With over 4 grams of fiber per cookie, this trumps a bagel or muffin for a quick breakfast. Moist prunes like Sunsweet Premium will keep these cookies soft while drier ones will make a crispier cookie. I sometimes add chopped mission figs along with the prunes. And the darker the chocolate, the more health benefits. - Jenny Jones
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 1 cup high fiber cereal (Nature's Path Smart Bran or Kellogg's All Bran Original)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped prunes
- 2 Tablespoons dark chocolate (use choc. chips or chopped 60-70% chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour thru salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat oil, sugars, egg & vanilla about 2-3 minutes until thick.
- Fold in dry ingredients, prunes, & chocolate chips. Mixture will be very thick and sticky.
- Shape into 2-inch balls and place on baking sheet (6 cookies per sheet). Using a wet fork, press down to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Bake 12-14 minutes. (for crisper cookies, press thinner and bake longer)