Black beans have more antioxidants than any other beans. I prefer mild chiles (Ortega Fire Roasted) because the spicy one are really spicy! Using hot liquid just makes it go faster. - Jenny Jones
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice (I use Uncle Ben’s)
- one 15-ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
- one 4-ounce can diced green chiles, mild or spicy (NOT drained)
- 1 1/2 cups water or chicken stock, preferably hot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + pepper to taste
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, cook onion & garlic in hot oil for about 2 minutes until golden.
- Stir in dry rice. Cook and stir about a minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.