Who knew you could make English muffins at home? Who knew they were cooked on a grill? I didn’t. I do know they are better than any I’ve had from a package and so worth making. - Jenny Jones
- 2 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet) instant yeast (Fleishmann’s RapidRise)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk (reduced fat or whole milk)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- about 2-3 Tablespoons cornmeal
- butter for greasing griddle
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the milk, water & oil and heat this milk mixture to 120°F and add to flour mixture.
- Beat with electric mixer on high for 2 minutes.
- Knead for 50 turns, cover, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Meantime, line a large baking sheet with wax paper and sprinkle it with cornmeal.
- Roll dough on a floured surface to 1/4” thickness (about 12 x 8 inches).
- Cut six circles with a 3 1/2–inch round cookie cutter dipped in flour.
- Place circles on wax paper and sprinkle tops with cornmeal.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm spot about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat electric griddle to 300° F or stove-top griddle to medium-low.
- Rub griddle with a stick of butter and cook muffins about 7 minutes per side.