Whole wheat tortillas become soft as butter when baked in this easy sauce full of healthy peppers and beans. Make it spicy or mild based on your salsa and peppers. Don’t like things spicy? Use only bell peppers (no jalapeño) and mild salsa. Like it hot? Use spicy salsa and jalapeño or super hot habanero peppers. Then top with cool sour cream. Yum! - Jenny Jones
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell peppers (red, yellow & green)
- 1/2 cup chopped jalapeño pepper
- two 15 oz. cans beans, drained (I use black & cannellini)
- 1 cup thick bottled salsa
- 6 oz. (1 1/2 cups) reduced fat cheese, hand shredded (I mix Jack & cheddar)
- six 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Shred cheese by hand. Pre-shredded will not melt well.
- Grease an 8-inch round baking dish with tall sides or a pie pan.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, cook and stir onion, garlic & peppers in hot oil for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add beans & salsa and cook for 2 minutes just to blend flavors.
- Layer in this order: 1 tortilla + 3/4 cup hot bean mixture + 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat, ending with beans & cheese.
- Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Optional: Serve with sour cream and/or garnish with green onion.
Notes: For more on this recipe in my blog click here.