If you love red velvet cupcakes, then have them… with my healthy recipe. You’re gonna love this: No eggs - one bowl - easy cleanup - and only one tablespoon of butter. These cupcakes are super easy to make and really moist and yummy. To store them…. oh, never mind… they won’t be around long enough to store! - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch processed (I use Droste)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice or distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 Tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 1 ounce reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Insert paper liners in 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl combine dry ingredients.
- In a measuring cup combine liquid ingredients.
- Add liquids to flour mixture and combine well using a spatula.
- Divide batter evenly into cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove to rack to cool completely.
- Beat butter, cream cheese, & vanilla with electric mixer.
- Add powdered sugar and a tiny bit of milk to obtain a nice, thick consistency.
- Frost cupcakes.
No buttermilk? See "Substitutions" in my blog.