TIPS: I usually frost these right in the pan. It’s best to have all your ingredients at room temperature. Be sure to aerate your flour before measuring.- Jenny Jones
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3-4 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a 9-inch square pan with foil or parchment paper.
- Sift the dry ingredients onto wax paper or into a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric hand mixer, beat the pumpkin, sugar, oil & eggs for 30 seconds.
- On low speed stir in the dry ingredients, mixing for 30 seconds until smooth.
- Spread evenly into pan, smoothing the top. Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely and frost. Keep refrigerated.
- Frosting: In a small bowl, beat the first 4 ingredients and slowly add the milk until it's spreading consistency.
Note: I can never get the top to bake perfectly smooth but it does not affect the great taste.