It's really worth toasting the pecans first and you can do that days in advance. Chopping the pecans makes it easier to cut the bars. I tried using maple syrup but was disappointed with the result. (Corn syrup is not the same as high fructose corn syrup.) - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk (low fat or whole milk)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use avocado oil)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, toasted, cooled, and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- For the crust, combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Add milk and oil all at once. Stir with a fork.
- Shape into a 5-inch disc and place between 2 sheets of wax paper. Roll into a rough 9-inch square.
- Transfer to pan and press to cover the entire bottom, using extra edges to patch openings. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high, combine all ingredients except pecans (takes about a minute).
- On lowest speed, stir in pecans.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 23-25 minutes. Remove while the center still jiggles a little. Cool completely before cutting.