The custard filling can be made well in advance. You can also fill with lemon curd, even chocolate pudding. It's best to have the egg yolks & oil at room temperature and be sure to aerate your flour before measuring. Paczki are best served while still warm. - Jenny Jones
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons (1 packet = 7 grams) yeast (instant or regular)
- 2/3 cup 1% milk – warmed to 120°F for instant/110°F for regular yeast
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- about 1/4 cup extra flour
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar for coating
- 1 cup homemade custard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk, low fat or whole
- one egg yolk
- Place flour, sugar, salt, & yeast in large bowl.
- Stir in warm milk, followed by oil, egg yolks & vanilla.
- With electric mixer, beat for 2 minutes on high speed.
- Stir in enough flour until the dough holds together.
- On a floured surface, knead 50 turns, cover with plastic and let rest 10 min.
- Meantime, make the custard. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Slowly stir in milk and egg yolk. Bring to a boil. Cook & stir about a minute. (it thickens more as it cools)
- Spread onto a dinner plate and let it stand, undisturbed, to cool thoroughly before using - refrigerate if necessary.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured surface, roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut circles using a 2 1/2 -inch round cutter, dipped in flour. Re-roll scraps.
- Place mounds on baking sheet, cover with a towel, and let rise in a warm spot about 45 minutes. (1 hour at room temp.) During this time, preheat oven to 375° F.
- When mounds are puffy, but not necessarily doubled in size, bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter and place 1/3 cup sugar in a plastic produce bag. Lay down some wax paper to save cleanup.
- Remove paczki immediately from pan to wax paper. Brush each one while warm (top & sides) with melted butter and roll in bag to coat with sugar. Let them cool before filling.
- Fill using a pastry bag with a long tip, pushing into the side, or cut a slit in the side and insert custard with a spoon. Best served while still warm. (Paczki freeze well)
Note: The video below for the Jelly Filled Paczki is exactly the same as this recipe except for the filling.